View Single Post
Old July 10th, 2011, 10:21 AM   #84
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
In an accident in a car with air bags (most of them have them these days), in some cases, it is actually more dangerous than older cars without them. That is, the air bag is designed to work in conjunction with the seat belt and not in place of it.

What happens is that without an airbag, an unbelted driver would simply fly through the windshield after a head on collision. If there is an airbag, it has a tendency to force an unbelted driver through the steel roof. Glass is relatively soft compared to steel.

So basically, if your car has airbags, you need to wear your seat belt to prevent your airbag from killing you.

Having said that, although I have always worn a seat belt in a car (long before the law), I am totally against mandatory seat belt laws. Just like with helmets, it should be a personal choice. I think better driver/rider education is a smarter way to get people to do what's right.
Helmets aren't a personal choice in most states.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote