View Single Post
Old July 10th, 2011, 04:59 PM   #1
CmichRider
ninjette.org member

Name: Jacob

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja 250

My bike doesn't like me...

This is on a 2000 ex250 with about 1200 miles on it now. Cliff-notes bolded at bottom.

I took a nice 120 mile ride with my brother and uncle on Wednesday, the bike performed amazingly. We were gone for probably around 2.5 hours, going around 60mph give or take a few. I loved the bike at 9k to 11k RPMs, it had all the power I needed to accelerate, and I was riding with two 1500cc cruisers. Pulled the bike in for the day and called it good.

Time comes to ride home from the week, and on Saturday morning, I left to go on a ~50 mile ride home. Bike ran great, and then the crap hit the fan, all at once. I revved the bike up and started to pick up speed, got to about 70 for a second, and then noticed my revs were starting to drop, the bike lost power! I thought maybe I was out of gas, so I switched to reserve and it kept losing power. My speed started to drop quickly, so I pulled off to the shoulder of the road, luckily my girlfriend was trailing in her truck and she saw me. The bike stalled as I stopped.

I looked at the bike for a couple seconds, thinking about what could have happened. I had a total loss of power. I tried starting the bike up and it wouldn't. It just cranked and cranked, eventually the battery died...

I pulled the jumped cables from the truck and jumped the bike, and after a second of cranking, it started right up. Got a break there...so I thought.

So we start back up going down the highway, it's a 2 lane 55mph road now, and early, so it wasn't too bad getting back on. I take off and immediately notice a lack of power, chugging (bucking), if I had to, I'd say it was similar to a bad plug in a car.

The next thing I notice down the road is that the speedo needle is bouncing crazy! At this point, I'm just trying to limp the bike the last 30 miles home. I want to throw my helmet down, sign off the title and put it on the bike at the side of the road. The needle is bouncing from 40mph to 65mph. I had no clue how fast I was going.

Once in the city and going slower, I noticed the exhaust was popping, the girlfriend said there was gray smoke coming out when it popped. Just my luck that an older CBR pulls up next to me at a light and revs the engine, Hah!

I ordered 4 NKG sparkplugs from Oreilly's Auto Parts, at 2.09 a piece. I figure for that price, it's worth a shot to replace them.

Cliff-notes:
Bike lost power after accelerating, I pulled over, bike stalled, wouldn't start, battery died, got jumped and it started, loss of power and chugging on the road, speedo needle jumps 20 mph, exhaust is popping.

What happened to my bike, Ninjette Gurus?! It just about left me stranded...I thought I'd be calling Progressive for roadside assistance. Poor bike is sitting outside now, I'm afraid to use it again until I get this fixed.
CmichRider is offline   Reply With Quote