View Single Post
Old July 17th, 2011, 04:35 PM   #16
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamGreen View Post
Where have you been taking it? I just had my valves done for about $270.
$500+ is the quote from Fun Bike Center and House of Motorcycles/Kawasaki. The other local Kawi dealer closed down a day or two after they did my first and only valve service in 2009 for ~$350. They said that everything was in spec but I suspect that they didn't do it at all.

After that, I asked around at local places like Stark Cycles and they all looked in their manuals and gave me the same price: Labor rate (~$70 and hour) times Kawasaki's estimated hours in the service manual + parts = $500+ for the full service. Though I'd undoubtedly want the full service if I'm about to cross the country, the cost for the valves only is still always over $300. I even offered to take all the fairings off to speed things up but they say it wouldn't make a difference. I'm not confident removing the airbox myself but I have been told that it makes it much easier/faster to remove the coolant reservior when servicing the valves, so I'd like to get some help with that on a tech day (silly reason to remove it, I know. I'm totally cool with keeping it otherwise). I could probably save a bit more by getting all the parts and supplies myself (gaskets, sprak plugs, coolant, etc) but I don't have time to do my usual "long term" bargain-hunting (it's a waiting game). I can do the oil change myself, at least. I have a slow coolant leak too and it's well past time to flush the coolant, but I don't want to be responsible for air in the system and other such things. I am not a mechanic! I don't even own a drill.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote