Thread: Bike Financing?
View Single Post
Old July 18th, 2011, 12:38 AM   #119
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoulrath View Post
I hate to break this to you, but if you live with your parents, then you are not independent. Having your own job and money doesn't automatically make you independent. You rely on your parents for housing. Unless you pay them rent, they are providing something of value for you. And even if you pay them rent, I don't know how FAFSA would count that.

I am not trying to be rude to you or put you down. I am just letting you know that being 18+ and having a job and money doesn't automatically make you independent.
I was talking from a tax standpoint that I am independent. Now even if I was living on campus or renting an apartment/room FAFSA would still not allow me to claim independent and would still say I am dependent and would disqualify me from any student loans/grants.

Now from a realistic view I am 95% independent I'm not just 18+ and have a job. I pay for all my stuff, insurance, food, sundries/toiletries (w/e you call them) gas, clothes, school, bills. The only thing I am not paying is rent. But I'm sure I make up for that by doing nearly every chore around the house, laundry, dogs, lawn, pool, garbage, dishes, etc.

So yes I do think I am independent and I do think I am quite deserving of a federal loan. And notice I'm looking for a federal loan not a grant. I'm 100% willing to pay the money back. If it wasn't for the local credit union that approved my student loan, I wouldn't be able to go to school full time.
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote