View Single Post
Old July 22nd, 2011, 10:06 PM   #25
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearlynotstefan View Post
I REALLY don't want to start a flame war here. I love my 250. I also own a gsxr 600. The 250 is way more maneuverable at low speed. BUT in my objective experience, hitting the same twisties on both bikes in the same conditions, I can take the same corners MUCH faster on the gsxr then the 250. This isn't to take anything away from the 250, but IN MY OPINION, in MY EXPERIENCE, the claim that the 250 can dust all supersports in the twisties is highly exaggerated. Keep in mind, I'm not talking about heavy liter bikes here, my gsxr stock weighs 50 lbs heavier then a stock 250...With a lot more oomph, a way better suspension front and back, and for me, better ergo's for turning.

I base this on riding both bikes alternating down the same awesome set of twisties all day. This isn't about 'feels faster', This is I looked at the speedometer and have hit turns at 70 on the gsxr that I didn't feel safe taking at 55 on the ninja. Also, keep in mind my ninja has an upgraded suspension, and pirelli sport demons...which should level the playing field some.

Let the flaming commence
Ugghhh... just having got my gxxr600 and putting roughly 120 km on it so far, I can relate to what you say VERY strongly. I loved the 250 because I felt safer and more in control at low speeds ___requote...felt safer on the 250 at first because I wasn't used to the gixxer) I think some people get the impression that the SS's are too agressive simply because they aren't used to them.
I completely agree because first few times I sat on it I was like "my 250 is 34923847293 comfier" but now after the position adjustment I think the gxxr has a comfier seat.
Honestly at the moment I am still getting used to taking corners at low speeds where you have to turn the wheel with another 50 lbs, but it isn't too hard, just some getting used to and trusting yourself.
As for the power, it is crisp and clean. Smooth and in control.

250 Is for sure better on gas, but hey you lose some you gain some.
the 20mpg- less isn't going to kill you financially. As for insurance only roughly 100$ more on a year.
So financially it honestly isn't as big of a deal as people say.