View Single Post
Old July 24th, 2011, 04:37 PM   #40
Buffalony
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250 "Wasabi", 82 Yamaha xj650j

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
I have that too but I have no way to power it anywhere near my motorcycle (no garage; apartment parking lot). Mini torch was $2 and no one ever said that a heat gun was hot enough, so it seemed like the obvious solution. Also, did you have the accessory kit with the attachments or did you melt your grips and such?
The heat gun has a switch that allows you to set it at two different temps. the sucker gets pretty hot.http://www.harborfreight.com/power-t...112-96289.html

No attachments came with this one. they werent needed though. It didnt damage my grips at all. Instead of aiming inline with the bar I aimed it 90 degrees to the barend so only the end was grabbing the heat. I used an impact driver as well, but it didnt take much with the heat gun on it.

The parking lot situation kinda sucks. Extension cord? Or maybe a friends house. propane torch was another good idea. if that screw head is too damaged you might have to drill it out. You could get an extractor bit too. If you end up drilling, start with a larger bit to clean up the gnarled up head, then go into the bolt with a smaller bit.