View Single Post
Old July 26th, 2011, 08:36 AM   #15
Ichiro
ninjette.org member

Name: Ichiro

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r(sold). 2013 Kymco Super8 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkuchhal View Post
Yes i do live in a very hot country, and with the bumper to bumper traffic the bike even gets more hot and the fan is running most of the time.

That's the point i was looking for... (I thought the coolants only purpose was to work as an anti-freeze and i thought that it never affected the boiling point.)

I do not plan to change the coolant with water, but want to know that till what limit it can be diluted with the distilled water.. keeping the boiling poit property intact.

Want to know.. like if 100% water is used . it boils at 100 degree.
if 100% coolant is used.. it boils at ??? degree.
if 30% coolant -70% water is used, it boils at .....??? degrees.

Thanks to all for replying.
OK. As I suspected, you didn't understand that the coolant raises the boiling point of the mixture.This explains why you are considering diluting the mixture contrary to the mfg's recommendations.

My simple point is that the manufacturer has considered the effects of dilution on freezing and boiling points and has created a ratio of water to coolant that maximizes the efficiency of the mixture.

Since they have recommended that you not dilute it with water when topping up, my feeling is that if you do dilute it, it will reduce the efficiency of the mixture.

Ultimately you can do whatever you like. I am just saying since I am not a scientist, I would follow the mfg recommendation.
Ichiro is offline   Reply With Quote