View Single Post
Old July 26th, 2011, 12:47 PM   #132
Toly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Toly

Motorcycle(s): KTM 390 Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
i was in right third of the lane when struck, no more room due to a curb + wall. and she was slightly ahead of me... there was no way the 250 or even my 600 could have accelerated quick enough to get out of the way in time with how quickly she jumped ovre. honestly, although this sounds kinda ly, since that accident, after checking for runners (which i have encountered several times since then and managed to avoid + probably save the person behind me from getting hit), i speed away quickly from intersections to insure i'm ahead of everyone... can't be cut off if there's noone around to cut you off.

but i would like to know the "proper" avoidance maneuver. aside from maybe get better at braking
Hard to say, but as I understand, at the light Alex was parallel to the first cager, with the second cager behind in the left lane. The safest option appears to accelerate ahead of the first cager right off the light, leaving them behind. Given that the first and second cager took off real fast off the light, I would re-evaluate the situation, move over to the right of my lane and cover the front brake lever, as speeding up didn't work and swerving was not an option due to lack of space. Thus, leaving some buffer on the side (just like he did) and being spring-loaded to brake appear most logical.

Of course this is with the benefit of hindsight being 20/20