View Single Post
Old August 12th, 2011, 01:14 AM   #97
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I had to wait until I got home to do it right, but I did manage to wire up my turn signals at work.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Remember: I did not have an LED relay, so I had to wire it with incandescent bulbs for them to flash properly. I didn't want to splice up both of the OEM cables in order to preserve the resale value of my OEM blinkers, which I will ditch once I get a relay installed, so I used my old tag light socket for a Sylvania 67LL bulb (I had a pack of two in case I ended up converting my original tail light to an integrated one). I also had a turn signal socket and cut wire from a crash damaged blinker. The OEM connector was cut off/missing but the tabs that connect to the bulb socket itself were useful. I connected the plate light wires onto the lead and they fit inside the old plate light connector perfectly. I shared a ground for almost everything else and forced a second 67LL bulb into that crashed blinker socket. I didn't force it all the way in so I bent the bottom fin in so that it made contact.

I spent the next day doing it properly (soldering and wrapping vs. stripping and twisting). I also widened the holes in the L-brackets so they could adapt for the difference in spacing without being all crooked and uneven (spacing for the tag mount bracket I was using and spacing for the tail light bolts I was mounting to aren't the same).

It blinks a little bit slower with these bulbs vs. the OEM bulbs. I'm not very satisfied with the visibiliy from a distance. It wouldn't be so bad if the flashing side would just kill the red LEDs entirely while signaling or if the remainin red side didn't dim with each amber flash (makes the whole thing appear to flash from a distance).

CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote