View Single Post
Old March 20th, 2009, 03:14 PM   #11
toku
ninjette.org member

Name: Yuri

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

My girl never even got close to a bike before she got on the back of mine. In all honesty she'll be more intimidated than you will be.

The most essential thing you need to work out is a system of communication.
My girl and I figured out a few simple things via taps. For example a tap on the shoulder means that she's uncomfortable/needs to change around the way she sits. Two taps means she thinks I'm going to fast and she's scared/nervous.
There are other signals you can work out just remember to keep them simple.

For the passenger the most important thing you can stress is that she stays calm and relaxed. Being on a motorcycle is not the same as being in a car. 50 MPH feels a lot faster on a bike then in a car at first. When going through turns you want your passengers head to be to the inside of the turn, looking over your shoulder, not only does that help them see what's coming ahead but it also takes some of the surprise out when the bike starts to lean. Also make sure that your passenger holds on tightly but not so tight that you can't breathe.

As for you the operator, the most important thing to remember is that someone else is putting their life in your hands. With two people on the bike it's like riding a whole different beast. Your center of gravity is going to be considerably higher, this will affect your handling. Also keep in mind that with two people on the bike you won't be able to accelerate as fast and that you'll need more space to stop. Plan your stops in advance and if your passenger slides forward have them slide back when you're stopped. It's no fun having your goods mashed into the tank. At low speeds is when the passenger truly becomes most cumbersome be prepared to use more muscle strength to hold the bike steady before speeds pick up. Other than that just take it easy and enjoy, it's a blast being able to share something you love with someone you love.