View Single Post
Old August 25th, 2011, 08:20 AM   #26
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
A rear seat mounts differently than a cowl, the cowl is definitely NOT secure and is just a bad design to be honest, especially for what it costs. If I ever get one I plan on scavenging an extra rear seat from ebay just for the seat pan, cutting all the mounting points from the cowl and find a way to attach the seat pan to the cowl, either epoxy or bolts, doesn't matter.

If you used a luggage box mounted to a rear seat pan I don't see that coming off, and I can think of a couple different ways to make some bolt-in braces for both the front and back of the pan to hold it even more securely by bracing under the frame rails, or a few other things in the trunk. Quick release braces would be possible, but much more difficult.
You are right that the seat pan is mounted on differently than the rear cowl. However, it is still not rated to be secure holding weight using that mount since the forces are sideways. In anycase, it doesnt seem likely but it does happen. I would just hate to be that 1/50 people that have a topcase mounted in that fashion on OUR bike and have it lost on the freeway. It's not that hard to add straps that wrap around the undertail to ensure minimal stress on the latch. I think that would easily solve the problem. To each their own. I was just wanted to present a FYI just in case.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote