View Single Post
Old August 29th, 2011, 07:28 PM   #11
neldy
ninjette.org member

Name: \(O.o)/

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoulrath View Post
I think the real question here is whether or not you have learned all you think you need to from your 250 before moving up.

Make no mistake, I was no master of my Ninjette when I traded it for my ZX-6R. I did, however, have a full year and 4,500 miles of mostly twisty, back road riding under my belt. Where I practiced techniques from several great books, this forum and one other, plus countless videos from people who knew what the hell they were doing. So while I hadn't wrung out my 250 for all she was worth, I knew I learned what I felt was more than enough to make the jump.

This is such a personal question. The truth is I felt ready for a 600 around 2,000 miles, which I put on in a bit over three months. But I wanted to get more out of the 250, so I kept it for a full year and more than doubled the miles while making those techniques instinct.

If you really feel you are ready, then by all means, go for it and be safe. If you feel you still need practice with counter-steering, or throttle control, or threshold braking, then you may want to at least keep the Ninjette to get in some more practice.
This is the sort of advice i'm really looking for. Thank you I appreciate it.

I've done about 6000km (3700miles) so far, and my house is at the back door to some lovely, tight and technical twisties.

I read about technique online and good books as suggested on these forums and have watched as much as I can find. I'd have to say I feel good riding.

We'll see how I go after my advanced riding course in a couple of weeks and then again once I've test ridden a few of the larger bikes.
neldy is offline   Reply With Quote