View Single Post
Old August 30th, 2011, 07:32 PM   #43
algerath
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2010 ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoulrath View Post
But it is the whole picture. Why it happens doesn't really matter.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a "yeah, but HOW does it work?" kinda guy. For simplicity, it is much easier to simply state what I stated. And cars aren't faster than bikes on all corners. It depends on the corner. Fast sweepers are a good example of a type of corner a bike can leave a car on. Minimal lean angle allows higher speed, and the bike's acceleration advantage can be used.

There are plenty of great comparisons by reputable sources on the web. Bikes win some, cars win some. In the end, F1 is faster than MotoGP.

Sorry to go off-topic (again).
But the "why" is the fun part of the discussion, I learned some new stuff going back and forth on the why part.

As far as F1 faster than motogp, they of course have 4 big sticky race tires, AND they have huge amount of aero downforce, which if I understand it correctly, provides added grip as if the car were a lot heavier without the additional inertia it would have if it really were heavier. So you get the grip benefits without the weight drawbacks.

I vaguely remember an interview with an IRL driver at the Indy 500 a year or two back, they were saying there was a gap of speeds in which you couldn't go around the corners, below speed x and you made it on tire grip, above sped y and there was enough downforce to go around flat out, but if you didn't make it to speed y before the corner you basically had to slow to speed x. I'll try to find it.