Old September 11th, 2011, 08:55 AM   #39
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by blink View Post
I think your a bit over dramatic with the security, first ask yourself "is my neighborhood all in all a good one to live in?"

second ask yourself "do i have insurance?"

If you answer yes to especially the second one then stop worrying.

I live in a townhouse complex and out of 4 cars (not some old rusted out civics) and 2 bikes none have gotten touched.
It's a mental thing.
If they do, ohwell insurance can buy you something new.
I don't feel worried at all. I just think it's sensible to secure your bike. Security is just a practical problem where you assess the threat and assess the vulnerabilities and then create a solution.

I sense you have the attitude that because you haven't had any of your machines touched, then they will never be touched. That's fallacious reasoning. Hopefully you don't apply that same general reasoning to bike safety. Just because incident X hasn't occurred then you don't need to be concerned with incident X occurring. One of the benefits of being human is that we can simulate in our minds potential future occurences. We can then take action based on those simulations to gain an advantage. Based on what I've read, I've simulated in my mind how a theft of my bike might occur and how best to alleviate those threats. I do the same for safe riding. I simulate threats in my mind then think about how to avoid them.

I don't live in a bad neighbourhood, but things from my neighbourhood do get stolen. I've had a bicycle stolen from outside my house before.

I do have theft insurance. I think it's essential to have that.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote