View Single Post
Old September 18th, 2011, 09:42 PM   #1
Francis
ninjette.org newbie 2,000

Name: Francis

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

How 'Often' Have You Crashed?

It's kind of a distasteful topic, but it's been on my mind for a while. I'm not really asking you guys what I should do since I already know what I want to do, but am still thinking about it. Although, I still wouldn't mind hearing some of your thoughts/experience.

I'm a new rider. I've crashed 3 times so far.

March: High side. Still not sure what happened. I lost traction in a corner (due to dirt/oil/whatever), felt it and panicked and used the front brakes. No injuries, aside from cosmetics, I just needed to replace shift lever and turn signal.

August: Low side. Lost traction on a corner from too much leaning. No injuries aside from black eye and bruising of cheek. Bike was written off.

2 days ago (second bike): Low side. I was on my way to get the bike blessed at the church as per father. Raining. Car in front of me braked, I do the same. I felt fine till a split second later, car tries to change line onto me and the first thing that popped in my head was "brake" so I did... and down I went. Only cosmetic damage. Picked up the bike, checked if anything could be wrong, it looked fine (felt fine) and off I go. Crash -> riding away took almost less than 2 minutes. I'm pretty sore now, body aches, but I'm fine. I've ridden in the rain before, but I've been off a bike for a month, so maybe I'm rusty. Or maybe I just didn't have the skills. Probably the latter.

3 crashes in the same year. That's not right.... All single vehicle. Two of them in a corner, and one in traffic. I've thought about giving up street riding for a while, but I was sure I would still be on a bike (track?). Obviously, that didn't pan out since I'm back on one.

I've heard of someone do something similar; 2 crashes on their first year.. but now they're still riding after 5 years. I was curious if anyone else has been on a similar situation. Like I said, 3 crashes on the same year isn't right. Bad luck? Maybe. Rider error? Yes.

edit: I have taken the MSF.
Francis is offline   Reply With Quote