View Single Post
Old September 18th, 2011, 10:02 PM   #43
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

I should mention that I'm not an anti-gun guy.

Maybe someday I'll find myself wishing I had a gun somewhere on my person, but I'm 46 and it hasn't happened yet.

Quote:
Even though it is highly unlikely that you will be in a motorcycle accident, you still wear a helmet because in the event of a crash, it will likely save your life. Same goes for seat belts in cars. People choose to carry a firearm on their person because even though it is highly unlikely that they will be robbed/mugged/attacked if that situation arose, it would likely save their life.
I shouldn't argue with you, and maybe pointing this out constitutes arguing or maybe it doesn't, I don't know.

But you're doing an "apples to oranges" comparison.

"Helmet=protection" is very simple, real and immediate. It applies to every single moment you're riding the bike. It's function is obvious, to protect your head.

"Gun=protection" is very nebulous and conditional. The situation where the gun is the clear and unambiguous protector/guarantee of your safety would be much more complex to construct. To start with you're dealing with other human beings in the imagined robbed/mugged/attacked situation.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote