View Single Post
Old September 19th, 2011, 05:38 AM   #47
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
Something I find very strange is that not many people seem to be noticing the increased surveillance, the increase in the rate that laws are created, the reduction of civil liberties, the centralisation of power and the increasing divide between the super rich, the rich and everyone else. Call me crazy, but I see a pattern that is showing no sign of slowing down; I strongly suspect things will get worse and worse. As a result of that, I'm trying to make the best of my life right now: enjoy my Ninjette and the freedom I have left!

Sounds like you were talking about the US.

That's why I joined ABATE. ABATE is basically the motorcycle version of the NRA. Its a motorcycle rights organization. There are a lot of anti-biker political forces out there that are trying to screw with us any way they can.

Recently, ABATE got a proposed law defeated that would have required bikers to were fluorescent orange hunter's vests. Mind you that we don't have to wear helmets, but they wanted us to wear silly orange vests for our own protection. There have even been some proposals to ban motorcycles entirely. Fortunately, they didn't get too far.

BTW, I liked jiggles analogy between a helmet and a CCW. Wear it in case you need it and not because you are looking for trouble. It makes sense to me. Carrying a dialysis machine in case of renal failure does not make sense because renal failure is not an emergency. However, heart failure is an emergency. And in fact, people DO carry implanted defibrillators with them in case of sudden heart failure.