View Single Post
Old September 19th, 2011, 08:38 AM   #1
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

Review: TechSpec C3 tank grips

I think the C3 is supposed to be the 2nd generation of their snake skin line. It's advertised to be better than the snake skin. I'm only reviewing the C3 since I have no prior experience with other tank grips. Anyways, I followed the mounting directions to the letter. Wiped my side plastics with soap and water and dried them off. Then used purple power to make sure all grease was removed. Used my heat gun and IR thermometer to heat the part to 90+F (instructions said minimum of 80*F). Placed the grips on and waited 12 hrs before I rode.

First thing I noticed was the grips had come unglued from where the bend is on the plastic. It was not stuck on their very well, but I figured maybe some time in the sun would make the grip conform to the plastic. Rode it to work and it was still loose. Took it to lunch and then back. I came out of the office and one the grips had been blown off by the wind. That's right, it was so loose, the wind just blew it off the plastic. I think the problem is because they use a "reusable" adhesive and then expect us to use them on painted surfaces like the gas tank (although they precut them for our plastics). The reusable adhesive is a joke if you are going to use them on our bikes. I took the grips back off and sprayed them down with some adhesive I used for a sub box I built. It seems to have formed a much stronger bond, although the grip STILL pulled up where the bend is. I didn't take any pics, but it's the corner where the gas tank meets the seat. Although it pulled up, the rest of it seems to be glued pretty well. If it comes off again, I may try super glue.

They perform pretty well and do look nice.