View Single Post
Old September 19th, 2011, 06:25 PM   #2
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Wrench Cycles View Post
I did this writeup on another forum and thought some people here might benefit from it as I explain what synchronizing(synching) is, and why it's important to synch your carburetors/throttle bodys, and most importantly the benefits like better gas mileage. Feel free to post any questions.

Here's the link:
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthre...+synchronizing

Just bored and figured i would start a thread on carb synchronizing. I always get ppl telling me they dont think its important, or the "my bike runs fine, why should i mess with it?"

Well this thread is to document the advantages of carburetor synchronizing and to answer any questions about the procedure.

First and foremost, your bike HAS to be in mechanically sound shape for synch'ing to do any good. If your valves are out of adjustment then it will all be for naught and wont make one bit of difference in the running of it.

What is carburetor synchronizing and what is the purpose of it?
It is to match all throttle bodys/carb butterflys so that they all open/close at the same time.

What are the advantages of synching my carbs/T.B.s?
There are many advantages including:
Steady idle
Smoother power delivery throughout the rpm range
More power
Less vibration
Better gas mileage
Longer engine life

Lets explore WHY the above mentioned is true, starting from the top and moving our way down.

Steady idle: When your bike is not in synch the butterflys are opened at different points when at idle, causing the idle to fluctuate from different amounts of air and fuel to enter on different cylinders. This can also cause a rough idle.

Smoother power delivery throughout the rpm range: We all know that a rich or lean condition will cause surging. Synching will make sure the air/fuel ratio consistent throughout the cylinders, keeping one cylinder from compensating for another, which in turn equates to a smoother running bike.

More power: When the a/f ratio is optimal your bike makes more power.

Less vibration: This is a common one that people have no idea about. It is more prevelant on some bikes than others. The goldwings are the worst about vibrating when the carbs/T.B.s are out of synch. Because of different amounts of a/f to enter the engine, making one cylinder want to run faster than another and messing with the harmonics of the engine it can cause a vibration to occur.

Better gas mileage: Speaks for itself. When you are running an optimal a/f ratio in all your cylinders, you get the best gas mileage. When one or more cylinders is running out of synch from the other/others it is making them work harder to compensate, thereby wasting gas.

Longer engine life: When the engine is not delivering the correct amount of a/f to each cylinder, it works one cylinder harder to compensate for the other/others as well as the slightly lean condition that can occur. All of this can shorten the life of your engine.

Lets address some other related questions.

Why should i perform a tune-up and valve adjustment before synchronizing my bike?
Because if your valves are not opening the specified amount they should it will not create the vacuum your bike needs to draw the correct ammount of air and fuel into the engine.
Ex. Your intake valve is to loose: This will cause it to not open far enough, or long enough to draw the correct ammount of air and fuel into the cylinder before the valve shuts. This will not only cause your bike to run bad but will mess up any synchronization you do on your bike because the engines vacuum is not what it should be.

My bike is fuel injected, why should i synch my Throttle bodys?
Not all bikes that are fuel injected have synchronizing procedures for the throttle bodys, but a good portion do. Dont think that because your air/fuel ratio is determined by the ECU, that you dont have to synch the Throttle bodys. Throttle bodys have butterflys just like carburetors do and if they aren't opening/closing at the same time it can throw everything off just like carburetors.

In conclusion, everything mentioned above will be more pronounced on some bikes versus others. The main factors being whether your bike is a two cylinder, inline 4, or flat 4/6. All that aside ANY bike will benefit from a carb synch after all other maintanence is performed
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote