Old September 24th, 2011, 03:11 AM   #593
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazakawi View Post
It would be a pretty boring ride to keep it under what the manual says. 4000RPM for the first 500 miles or something like that.

I tried that one day, kept the bike under 4K, pretty much impossible unless you want to be crawling. 4K RPM in 6th Gear was like 30MPH. Most of the streets around me have speedlimits of 35-40MPH so that just isn't possible unless you ride 500miles around your block.

Also, if that is what your supposed to do, warming the bike up with the choke would break that rule. My bike idles at 4.5K starting out with full choke on a 50*F day. Slowly goes up to ~6K if I forget to turn it off after a couple minutes while gearing up.

As long as you don't hold it at red line the bike will be just fine. Vary the RPMs while riding and give it plenty of time to warm up.
It's possible to keep below 4000 RPM. I think I did a pretty good job of it on my Ninjette. I allowed myself up to 5000. I did hold up traffic a bit sometimes. The rides weren't boring though. There's plenty to enjoy about the Ninjette even if you aren't going fast. Could even be that if you focus too much on going fast you'll miss all the other nice things.

I think it served me well riding so slow in my first months. Decreased the chance of me crashing. It was a great feeling when I passed 500 miles and could then go up to 6000 (I allowed myself up to 7000).

I've now only just hit 1000 miles so I've got more fun to come.

It's been kinda nice gradually being given access to more power. It's like getting 3 new bikes, each one more powerful than the last.

Next summer I'm thinking of installing an Area P full exhaust system, stickier tyres and a few other performance upgrades... so that will be my forth bike!
akima is offline   Reply With Quote