View Single Post
Old October 2nd, 2011, 12:56 PM   #142
baligila
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Pramita

Motorcycle(s): some, mostly custom projects

Thumbs up EFI tuning

Came across this website and this very thread after combing through the net searching for a light on ecotrons for my smaller bike projects.
Been a longtime user of both piggyback EFI controller (e-manage), and standalone EFI controller (Autronic), so while I'm no expert, at least I know what difference they possess in their nature. Especially compared to carburetor system, by system, I mean all little tidbits that came along with it (separate ignition advance controllers, etc)

I was intrigued by the comment made by bprayogo, as it does not make the same power as his carb'd system. To start with, and be fair about it, most motorcycle enthusiasts and tuner in Indonesia, I believe is still stuck at the concept of: 'the bigger, the better', and bprayogo has shown (although he is considered an expert by local racing-bike tuning standards) the very thing that limits the achievement of most tuners in the country, pre-assumptions.

He said AFR was good, but after reading Matt's (Ecotron) post, I'm afraid I have to agree with Matt that the call for bigger throttle body is out of the question for most cases, and he simply haven't tuned the EFI controller appropriately.
The fact that he mentioned the use of Power Commander, an antiquated version of basic piggyback controller with a fully programable EFI control unit is confusing me. They don't belong in the same sentence.
Why on earth would one tune a fully programable EFI controller with basic piggyback?!
While I have not yet laid my hands on an Ecotron unit, and software, I would believe, the worst it can be is an early version of autocal, and that was an okay interface for a well informed EFI tuner.

This fact intrigued me that a true fair test should be done to the unit. I myself don't own a 250R, but was toying around with KLX250 EFI unit earlier this year, caused by a dissatisfied fellow that was accepting an offer from a local vendor in Bali that fitting an FMF kit designed for carbie KLX is a good idea on a fuelie KLX, so I have an idea what to expect from Kawi's smaller engines.
Besides, an inlaw was mentioning that his 250R was never the same again (read: laggy), after a 'Yoshi' pipe install. It amazed me that the shed that sold and fit it didn't re-tune the carb....
As for the KLX pipe-saga, after an O2 bung, tail-pipe re-size, and a few solders later, the bike was forcefully bought by another friend. I wonder why

So far, things that I like about Ecotron (only by reading):
- the fact that they are economical (hey, all that for 499? Are you kidding me?! Hehehehe)
- the fact that they provide two O2 sensors. Shows that they care about the perfectionists out there
- their simplicity
- the fact that now I know I can stop finding replacement carbs, vacuum diaphragm etc. Instead, I can seal the old carb, drill injector fitting, and use it as throttle body. Hmmm.... Sweet
- the fact that I can dial whatever 'jet' I want to apply (almost) anywhere in the rev-load map
- did I mention that Ecotron is quite cheap?
- that I can now turbocharge my puny little bikes, that in itself is hilariously fun and serves a recreational purpose, away from serious projects)

What I don't like however:
- is the fact that Ecotron decided to present the injector in gr/min. made my head explode with unnecessary computing duties, hehehe...

So Matt, where do I sign up for my prospective dealer test kit
Don't forget to include that VZ21 in the package. I might as well buy a 250R and see how much fun I get from it.

Note: I'm not a believer in corrected Horse Power number, I believe in good practicality, along with that eye popping HP. Hahahahahahaha....

Have a good one
baligila is offline   Reply With Quote