View Single Post
Old October 8th, 2011, 08:10 AM   #100
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrink View Post
A word of warning: I damaged my output shaft, and/or bearings, by removing the stubborn counter-sprocket nut. My method of removal was no different than is mentioned in this thread. I continued to ride for another 20K miles, so it wasn't critical, but every now and again, when the road was super smooth, I could just feel a bit of unbalance. This was just a suspicion, until I went to replace my clutch, and damaged the input shaft, and/or bearings, removing/installing the nut for the clutch basket. I had the same damage, but it was more severe, and more obvious this time.

It is my belief that using breaker bars, and torque wrenches on these nuts is a potential cause of damage. For now on, I will only use an impact-wrench for these types of applications. You may not get the perfect torque speck, but getting it snug with the impact wrench should get it close, without the added risk of damage. I did this with a new engine, and have had no problems.... I forgot what it felt like to ride with a smooth transmission.
How did you fix it?
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote