View Single Post
Old October 19th, 2011, 06:10 AM   #227
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

It's actually the LOWES part number. The Hillman part number is H# 881261. Now, I know I have the right part: The bin said "Lowes: 139377 H#: 881261" and it is labeled "32/32OD x 1/2ID H# 881261" on the sealed package.

I test-fitted it in the store and it just falls right off of the nipple but I found that it tightens up perfectly when I get it in the bike.

Now, regarding fitment, mine is a used cowl that seems to fit perfectly fine. The bracket appears straight and unmodified and the gap is minimal (didn't really notice even until I took the picture).

Question: Why does the nipple have a ridge around only half of it? I see others in this thread exactly the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpionNinja View Post
Ive worked in A few plastic factories over the years. Let me tell you, plastic no matter what, will Warp like most man-made things! Plastic injection molding isnt perfect. If some of the OEM cowls sit for a long time, due to too much weight being pushed down onto through the boxes 'strenght' and pushes down on the Cowl/Part itself alil bit... over time it Warps things even further! (in case of final products Boxed and sealed, stacked till shipped) Some of these mightve been sitting for afew Months, also these OEMs could've been Made (like most cases) before the first 250R (2008-2009) was even built, and wasnt really Test-fitted. Manufacturing parts ahead of time without 'making sure its perfect fitting' happens more times then we'd like to think. Its plastic molding, theres alot more 'room for error' in the correct size, vs a CNC Machine Shop with steel,stainless-steel Molds and Parts that have 'tight' tollerences.

anyhow im just pissed we spend our hard earned money on something that once you get it outta its box, like a 8yr old on X-mas morning all excited and such, your Quite bummed with the results of your find!
I doubt this is the case. Mine has no notch for the helmet so it is clearly the earliest made. I think this issue is a combination of people mounting the U-clips upside down, the mounting bracket backwards, and the slight bend on the mounting bracket from the TIG weld of the latching pin. My bracket was straight, the hardware was secured correctly, and I didn't have to do a thing to the rubber bits and neither did the previous owner.

Now, I will be putting my contact info on the inside somewhere and using Loctite though I myself have not personally experienced it coming off (haven't ridden with it yet).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cowl.jpg (51.6 KB, 9 views)
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote