Old October 26th, 2011, 05:55 PM   #17
zzrguy
ninjette.org member

Name: Lostboy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 ZZR 250

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
Is it possible something is jamming the exhaust valve open? A screw or wire or something that accidentally got sucked in.

But I can say that if you are sure the valves are adjusted properly and the rocker arms are working and present, its time to pull the cams and head and closely examine your valves and timing chain.

Timing chains don't usually break, they stretch. If its especially loose, it might have hopped a tooth. But the tensioner should have picked up the slack on an engine with only 9000 miles on it.

A kawi engine failing at only 9K miles is very rare. But having a radically lower compression in one cylinder says there is likely something wrong with the valves.

If I lived up there I'd come over and give you a hand, but instead, maybe check with a kawi dealer and see if they will let you talk to their mechanic to see if he's heard of anything specific to your bike. Maybe offer to buy him lunch at McDonalds.

Broken Kawi 250 engines are rare like diamonds, just not as valuable.

PS- In case you didn't already know this, there are two TDC marks on the flywheel on the left side of the bike. The left TDC cylinder is marked "1T" with a line through it so it looks like "1|T". And the right cylinder TDC is marked "2T" or "2|T". I think there is also a "1D" or something in there too, but ignore that one.
I wished you lived closer. I know about the TDC marks thanks
As for the timing chain i thought i heard it slipping but i opened it back up and they were lined up perfect at 33 teeth like its suppose to be.

I dont see how anything coulda got stuck as this happened while i was riding how do you check to see inside the valves? Like i know how to take apart the whole engine im just not sure how you remove the valves or inspect them or anything like that.
zzrguy is offline   Reply With Quote