View Single Post
Old October 31st, 2011, 04:22 PM   #5
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

I have come to the conclusion that it is virtually impossible to have year round gear for southeastern weather. It's much too hot and humid in the summer for gear with only a few vents here and there, and far too cold and rainy in the winter to have mesh gear with liners. So, I've gone down the "winter gear" and "summer gear" route, and am building up a collection for both. Despite my separation of summer and winter... I believe that Fall, Spring, and Winter can maintain what our gear sees as a single season. At the same time, most of the summer gear can also delve into the Fall and Spring. Granted, it must be noted that I say this with a very limited budget. Nicer gear that is well designed may suit the purpose better than the gear I've tested.

Having been said, option 3 seems wisest, as the protection level you maintain with leather should generally be higher than with textiles, while a textile pant should provide you the versatility that you need in winter especially.

One thing to keep in mind with multi-season gear, is the amount of space the winter liners take up and how it effects the fit. For example, I have a Cortech mesh jacket that fits decently in winter, with the rain liner and insulated liner in, but as soon as I take all that out, the thing is like a garbage bag.

Oh, and don't forget gloves and boots!
leed is offline   Reply With Quote