View Single Post
Old November 2nd, 2011, 11:15 AM   #15
Guoseph
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Husky FE501S, 2007 KTM 525 EXC, 2002 KTM 250 EXC, 1998 Honda VFR 800

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBC View Post
Thanks for the tips everyone! The way my budgeting is going, I'm probably going to go with the gloves first, jacket second, and upgrade the helmet when I get the cash (and, you know, decide on which helmet to get).

I'm currently caught between two jackets:
1 - http://www.revzilla.com/product/firstgear-jaunt-jacket
2 - http://www.revzilla.com/product/alpi...air-flo-jacket

I really like the styling and the protection provided by the Alpinestars jacket for the price (especially with the optional breast plates and back protector added in). The only huge difference between the two which I can spot is in water protection - the Firstgear jacket is resistant while the Alpinestars jacket is perforated (i.e. gets soaked!). I think I'll be happier with the Alpinestars jacket as far as styling and actually wanting to wear the thing, but living in a place with more overcast days than Seattle, I'm not sure it's the best choice?

Am I looking at that correctly? Does anyone on here own either jacket and can chime in?
It depends on what kind of conditions you plan to ride in. You are comparing a summer jacket to a winter jacket. Rarely will you find something that is suitable for all four seasons, so it's always a compromise.

Firstgear actually claims waterproof for their Hypertex membrane, but if you have no plans of riding in the rain (or want to buy an outside rain suit), then it's not a requirement. Come summer time though, the same waterproof jacket is not nearly as breathable as the mesh, and there's only so many vents they can cut into that thing before it no longer stays together in a crash.

Mesh jackets are great for airflow, but it's November now, and Pittsburgh is going to get colder before it gets warmer (I grew up in Morgantown, btw). You can always try to bundle under and over the jacket, but it's going to be a compromise until it gets warmer. Then again, if you plan to put your bike away until spring, that's a moot point

I'm mulling over picking up one of these for the upcoming rainy season here:

Scorpion XDR Commander
Guoseph is offline   Reply With Quote