View Single Post
Old November 11th, 2011, 10:15 AM   #174
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
if it has 2 O2 bungs, wouldn't you just drill a hole in each header? So that would be the same with a 2-1 exhaust; just make sure you drill it in the area before they merge.
Yes, that's one way to do it.

I'm just speaking from the perspective of a non-Ecotrons fuel injection project guy.

The Ecotrons kit is unique with the use of two O2 sensors on two cylinders. I've never see or heard of that in my entire exposure to the do-it-yourself fuel injection world. I'm not saying it's a bad thing. On the contrary, it's an innovative way to get the needed data from two exhausts that never really mix together (the OEM EX-250 1-into-1 dual style).

The Ecotrons ECU is the first do-it-yourself ECU that I've ever seen with the capability to monitor two O2 sensors at the same time. It's a neat package, no doubt.

I have seen installations where the guy had to move his single O2 sensor back and forth occasionally between two exhaust bungs on a project that had two exhausts that didn't mix (like a V8 engine with straight dual exhausts or a BMW "airhead boxer" motorcycle engine). But these are the exception to the rule, as most performance-type engines have exhausts that are "some-number-of-cylinders-into-one".

My point is that most do-it-yourself fuel injection guys would tell you that on a parallel twin like the EX-250 with a 2-into-1 exhaust installed, two O2 sensors really amounts to overkill. Yes, there might be very slight differences in the gas-flow characteristics between the two cylinders, but they would be only very small differences. In fact, one of the primary objectives of the designer of any quality 2-into-1 exhaust pipe is to tune the exhaust so as to create very similar flow characteristics for both cylinders.

So I was wondering if the Ecotrons guys had included an easy way to set their kit to use only one O2 sensor.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote