akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd254 View Post
I'm back with new info!

that was only a 10 min ride, and 3 cars ran a redlight, one nearly took me out. that b1tch swerved to the right and went to the street parking area to avoid hitting me. the other two fumb ducks will being getting their tickets in the mail. the traffic cam def. caught both of them.

so I went back and did practiced counter steering. The response was much faster but I'm not gaining much horizontal movement. I'm moving maybe only 1 or 1.5 feet to the right or left only. If I drop my hips like I said... I can easily move 3 feet to the right or left instantly. should I practice more?

and the turning and accelerating... wtf? I'm not getting it. I'm entering the turn at the perfect speed. If I lean... I turn exactly where I want to go. If I need more speed, I simply accelerate. I did what you guys said.... I enter the turn... accelerate VERY little through the entire turn... I'm crossing the double solid lines now since I'm obviously going to fast. I need this reexplained.

So here is what happened and why I fell.

I stood there for a good 5 mins staring at the road... Trying to analyze it. Then I tilt my head a little and noticed there was a mirage effect going on. If you look at it from the top down, it looks like a perfectly normal road. If you lower yourself, you can see that after years of use, the road is depressed from the wheels of millions of cars driving over it daily. I would say that was it was depressed on both sides by a maximum of 1 inch. As I turned about 15 degrees, the front wheel probably followed the depression, causing the wheel to twist at a 45 degree angle, bike stopped, I flew, bike fell.

of course.. I did what I did on Cris's bike twice today on my bike... and nothing happened... but I do have brand spanking new tires...
I say this with only love and cuddles ... but... you've got a lot to learn! That's not a bad thing. I was where you were when I first started riding. Not that long ago.

Ok, so brand spanking new tires... that's not a good thing!! Brand new tires are not grippy. It takes a while for them to become grippy. I suspect this guy didn't know about the nature of new tires:

Link to original page on YouTube.
(brand new bike!)

As for the shifting your hips thing: I'm imagining you moving side to side on your seat (like you see moto gp racers doing). I'm sure that will be a great thing to learn further down the line for high speed cornering, but for a new rider (like you and me), it's not necessary for our daily city riding and certainly isn't necessary for slow speed riding. Counter steering is the universally hailed method of quickly turning a bike. I really can't imagine that moving your weight side to side is quicker than counter steering. If you apply a small amount of force to the handle bar it will full-on drop the bike over to the side: it's a great feeling when you get confident with it. Learn how to do it confidently and it'll become the only way you decide to steer the bike (except maybe for very slow speed riding... like 5 mph... at that speed you'd might use your weight and steer the motorcycle like a bicycle)

Glad you figured out what likely caused your accident. Seems kinda odd to me that you went back to that same spot trying to recreate the accident with your own bike

akima is offline   Reply With Quote