View Single Post
Old November 12th, 2011, 05:35 AM   #25
blueflash
Recovering Nuke

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Yamaha FZ1, 2005 Ninja 250

If the RF 1100 fits you, then I would give it a resounding "thumbs up." I've had Shoei's before, but went for a few years going with cheaper helmets. I had an HJC that appeared to have a noise amplification system, and the ventilation was marginal at best.

I traded up to the top dog KBC helmet (VR-2, I think)... and it was a lot better... better sound dampening and better ventilation. However, the better sound dampening came by putting ear pads that cover the entire ear... no cavity in the side of the helmet for your ear to fit into. Hence, just try using ear buds... those pads would drill the buds into your brain! I have Cardo Head sets, but would have to put the speakers behind the pads, to that didn't work either... A bit of modification to the liners and I could use the buds, but at the expense of more noise.

My sweetheart got me the RF1100 a couple of months ago. Nice room for the ears, the Cardo speakers were a breeze to install, ear buds would be easy as well, AND much lower wind noise in this helmet, even at high speeds. As for ventilation... the RF1100 is clearly the best helmet I've ever had. My first ride, I was amazed at the air flow through the helmet... on the next ride, I even opened the chin vent (hahahaha) and the air flow was dramatically better still.

Bottom line... try the helmet on. Is should be snug, it should not hurt, but by trying on different models and makes, you will find the right shape. If the RF1100 is the one that fits, it's an outstanding helmet.

It's good to see that you are willing to spend the money for a good helmet. That is an indication that you value your head. Kudos for that!

2005 Ninja 250R
2004 Yamaha FZ1
blueflash is offline   Reply With Quote