Thread: No Helmets?
View Single Post
Old November 15th, 2011, 01:43 PM   #43
evi1joe
ninjette.org member

Name: jOE

Motorcycle(s): none yet (getting a 250R)

While I'd hate for my insurance to go up if the insured didn't wear helmets and got in wrecks (or my taxes to go up if they didn't have insurance and the gov't had to foot the bill), the same argument could be made for smoking. I see smokers as raising my insurance and/or taxes...I don't think they should be allowed to smoke unless they sign an affidavit that says they agreed to die at home, coughing up blood and not wasting taxpayers' and/or insurance payers' money. Though it could be said for obesity too...maybe we need a twinkie-affidavit.

CONFESSION: if I'm just going to the Walgreens, Lowes or 7/11 at the end of my street, which I do a lot, I tend not to wear my helmet. I like to be able to see everything around me with no peripheral restrictions and extra weight, etc...sometimes I circle the neighborhood a bit on the way home since I like the wind on my face (oddly, a helmet makes me drive faster since I don't have that sensory input of wind hitting my face). THAT SAID, anything further than a mile, or if I'm even crossing a four-lane road, I wear my helmet. It's Florida and hot, and my rides are short and slow, so I'm no ATGATT person--IF I commuted to work or drove further than 2 miles or faster than 40mph, I'd do more than a helmet.
evi1joe is offline   Reply With Quote