Old November 18th, 2011, 10:50 AM   #30
randy328
CMRA Mini Endurance #6

Name: Randy

Motorcycle(s): CBR954, CBR600RR, EX250

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiekay View Post
OK....for you track day guys....my guru made a comment:
You're 100 times more likely to fall on the track but it's only half as bad as falling on the street......(roads we run are clean, nicely paved, very little traffic and next to nothing to crash into...farmland mainly) Are you 100 times more likely to crash on the track. I mean, I understand that the track is where you push yourself because it is safer.
As a trackday instructor, in the Beginner level (what we call Level 1 down here) you should be less likely to crash then on the street. The way we teach, you really shouldn't crash, and I tell students that there is no reason to crash today. You'll still have a blast, but we teach how to control the bike, appropriate speeds, braking, cornering, etc. You can push yourself, but it is a more controlled environment. We say never ride more than 85-90% of your potential at a trackday. Learn the basics and get smoother; concentrate on smooth and fast comes with it. If you try to jump up too fast, your skill level can't handle it.

In a race, you are pushing for 100% (and when you go over, that's when you crash).

Just my 2 cents.
randy328 is offline   Reply With Quote