View Single Post
Old November 18th, 2011, 04:07 PM   #18
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i have had the unfortunate opportunity to have first hand knowledge of this. in CA, if the claim on a bike is made that is more than the bike is valued at (this is not what it is worth, but what the insurance deems as an "adequate value" of the bike which is usually much lower than you expect. for the 250 on progressive they valued the brand new bike at $2200) then they will total the bike and label it salvaged. you get after that the value of the max claim, plus the value of the sold salvaged bike which for the 250 was 800. or you can buy the salvaged bike back frrom the insurance company but you only get the claim value. in my case $2200. so even thoough the bike cost me around 5 grand, the most I could ever get out of insurance is 3000. i managed to negotiate with insurance and repair to lower the repair costs with aftermarket parts and the bike was spared the salvage title, but the "value" of the bike according to insurance has gone down, which means in the future if i drop her they will give me even less.