View Single Post
Old November 22nd, 2011, 08:10 PM   #32
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
to be fair, you arent spraying carb cleaner through your carbs every week like you do with your chain. not to mention the rubber diaphrams dont take any load and can be a specifically tailored compound for the harsh gas environment in the carb. also the rubber gaskets in carbs don't have friction or stress on them like the orings in a chain do.

im not saying using harsh solvants on your chain is going to break your orings. obviously you have plenty of experience of it not doing that. but to discount there being any difference i think is turning a blind eye to some results already posted. 10% is 10%, regardless of whether you replace before you get there or not.
I hear what you guys are saying but this is 9+ years of experience and not one single problem. Also, I'd clean my chain once every 3 months...maybe every 4 months. Prior to racing when I rode the streets I've probably cleaned it once every two months and logged 40-50K miles a year. Again not one problem.

But this is kinda ironic cuz you guys are so cautious about using the right cleaner for your chain in fear of damaging or snapping yet don't wear proper full gear all the time (head to toe). The irony just kills me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post
If you scroll a bit to where I posted the study done on this, you will see that brake cleaner has a seriously detrimental effect on o-rings. Reduces them to 70% of strength. Does that mean that in any individual case it will cause a problem? No. But in a large sample size, you are going to be more likely to have a problem than if you use the stuff that is chemically engineered to clean chains with the best possible effect. Why someone would use a more expensive product (like CLP or brake cleaner) when purposely designed chain cleaners built for purpose are out there, I can't figure out.
Plz do me a favor and tell me which post #.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote