View Single Post
Old November 24th, 2011, 11:52 PM   #9
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rph12 View Post
See, you make an excellent point. I've seen a couple deals of that sort in my five long, grueling months of craigslisting day and night, every day. I am actually already planning on going out to look at another bike tomorrow that is an 05 with 5500 miles on it; however, this bike has been *sitting* in storage for two years. He claims battery replacement and regular oil change, but I feel a little nervous as to if he actually took proper precautions and steps to ensure the bike doesn't develop problems (Tank rust, carbs clogged, etc). This guy claims it starts up and runs, but what if something comes up 20 miles down the road that was unforeseeable and due to being in storage? What's a guy to do? :/
I would greatly prefer that bike as opposed to a salvage bike. You can check the tank for rust, you can change the battery and the oil. You may have to take apart the carbs and clean them if the bike doesn't start up buts thats just some elbow grease for a good deal.

And don't be afraid of bikes with 10k+ mileage. Most people won't even consider a bike with over 10k miles which means you can get a great deal.

Oh and the bike that is salvaged, you could buy it, have it inspected and declared non-repairable at which point its a nice lawn ornament.

http://motorcylemom.hubpages.com/hub...age-Motorcycle
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote