View Single Post
Old November 27th, 2011, 07:42 PM   #4
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

My first motorcycle crash back in 2003 was a good learning experience.

It was mid October, I had looked forward towards a spirited group ride with local BMW riders along with a close friend of mine.

I had a late night 'break-up' phone conversation with an ex-gf until about 3AM.
Needless to say, I didn't get good sleep.

The ride started around 9AM, through some familiar yet unfamiliar routes.
Some sections include heavy woods littered with leaves and tree branches from the night before,which was particularly windy.

Single lane road, one off-camber, blind left turn with a large tree branch across the middle of the lane.
Instead of looking where I want to go, I stared at the tree branch in the middle of the road, also called 'target fixation'.

I hit the tree branch with my front tire/wheel while the bike was leaned over pretty steep angle.
Front wheel washes out, I let go of the bike and land on the pavement with my hip. Bike slid off the pavement, makes a summersault in the air and lands in the dich with soft ground.

I walked away from the wreck with only minor skin rash under my riding gear, but it was enough to make me realize not to ride again if I didn't have good sleep the night before, with lots of my mind and take it easy riding after a windstrom hit overnight.

My bike had a broken handlebar, scrapped up valve cover, bent subframe and a cracked nose fairing.. all fixed within a few weeks but it took much longer for me to get comfortable riding it at a decent pace.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote