View Single Post
Old December 19th, 2011, 02:06 PM   #52
Tinto
Java Junkie

Name: Tinto

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R and 2012 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom

Hello Slono,

I did the DIY fender eliminator and removed the cargo hooks and the turn signal brackets. It was a little intimidating before I started but after reading a few different versions on how to do this I felt comfortable enough to start cutting away. Mine turned out very well and of course didn't cost me a penny.

I used the existing license plate hardware to repositioned it above the tire with a forward slant but after riding in the rain knew that another modification would be needed to eliminate the rooster tail from doing its dirty work on my backpack or passenger. Cool but not practical. Without that ugly fender the bike looks much nicer but removing it came with this consequence.

I thought about a possible solution that would kill two "roosters" at one time...a flip plate and an adjustable tail. My idea is similar to Gixxerboy's license plate holder (http://gixxerboys.com/product.asp?specific=399) but I was thinking of an adjustable plastic "fender extender" that would be held in place behind the license plate. It could easily be pulled out in inclement weather. I haven't fabricated the piece yet so don't know if the plastic extendable tail is needed if the license plate angle can be adjusted.

If it turns out as well as I hope it does I'll take photos and post a little DIY on this. If it's a crash and burn idea just forget I wrote this post.
Tinto is offline   Reply With Quote