View Single Post
Old December 22nd, 2011, 06:32 AM   #49
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Quote:
Originally Posted by revstriker View Post
Most of the voter ID laws proposed, including the ones that have passed, contain an avenue for those financially burden to get IDs. In some cases, without leaving their homes.
Uhhh, that's not what I meant. When I said free and with ease, with no burden, I meant for that to apply to *all* applicants regardless of income status or financial ability. It has to be applied equally, without consideration to any other factors. Otherwise, what happens is you have a means test to determine eligibility, and the "grey" area at the edge will be where legitimate voters will have their rights revoked due to arbitrary rules created by whatever party is in power.

Besides, my voter registration registration already proves my right to vote, and I obtained it without having to leave home, go anywhere to get photographed and fingerprinted*, or having to pay for anything other than a stamp and envelope.

*Both requirements for obtaining a driver's license or government ID in this state, along with having to pay for gas and parking to go to a central location, stand in line for hours on a workday, and pay cash.

Quote:
Interesting you would say that as 4 Democratic officials in the state of New York have just recently pleaded guilty to voter fraud related felonies. Sounds like the New York courts feel that this is "meaningful".

The facts are there; voter fraud is real and does exist. And why wouldn't it? There is big big money in elections, and many groups have vested interests in seeing certain candidates win. It only makes sense to do what we can to prevent it. And requiring proof of who you are seems pretty basic, and downright reasonable.
Never said it didn't exist, have you been reading my posts? It does exist, but not in levels that are meaningful. You say four Democrat officials, but the context is that there are tens of thousands of political officials of any party across this nation, and there are plenty of Republicans who have committed fraud as well. The fact is, and I stand by this as I always have, is that the trivially small percentage of fraud doesn't affect elections in any meaningful matter, and existing fraud detection and remediation systems take care of what little happens. Why create a whole 'nother costly bureaucracy to deal with a problem that isn't really a problem? Whatever the motives behind this latest legislative push, they clearly have nothing to do with the stated problem.

Quote:
So your saying you don't have a drivers license, but you ride a motorcycle? How does that work?
I said no such thing. I don't appreciate your lie, revstriker, and would appreciate it if you would retract it.