View Single Post
Old December 22nd, 2011, 11:55 PM   #89
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Name: Ms.T, Queen of the Night

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250

Well, that was a painful way to get some info...

I'm considering buying a track-only bike. No ins, no trailer since rental MC trailers here are cheap for the occasional TD.

BUT...I was advised by my all-knowing guru to make my future track bike street legal so I would always know its condition and be aware of any issues before they become problems on a track day. Something to think about for people who may only be able to go to the track once in a while.

The easy parts of track prep don't take much time and my guru said that his wired down bits are always wired down even on his street bikes.

I would really miss street riding because it's how I learn to become one with the bike, going slow will make me go faster if I want to at a track. Smooth in one place will make you smooth in the other.

On the streets, it's zen riding. Relaxed, learning all different maneuvers without pressure, scenery, the feel of the air in my face/visor.. The workout it gives me when it's not all smooth like a track. The constant awareness that I need in traffic can only help me when I get to the track. The split second timing I need on the street may help me on the track.

When I do get to the track, sorry to disappoint but I won't be there for the speed. If I want speed, I will hop on a little plane or maybe go drag racing, I'm all about the corners, I want to lean the way I can't (shouldn't) on the streets. I want to have the feeling of finding the perfect line at the perfect speed, to feel the suspension even out at the right time and shoot me out of the turn like a (slowish) bullet. I want to experience a long controlled drift. Short little drifts get my blood going but in a parking lot, there's just no succession of different challenges lined up. Parking lots are very cool for testing yourself against yourself. No competition, just you and the bike trying to find that perfect balance.

Sometimes we all need to take a breath and enjoy the art of motorcycling for it's own virtues.

Keep the bike for both and store it at work, my humble opinion. Don't do any mods you can't easily reverse for the street.

Save some track money by buying some motorcycle mags, and reading them on the way to work on public transportation. It will cut you car insurance, gas and maintenance. Use the car for necessity rides and use the bike for track and pleasure-only rides.
My two cents, good topic!
Firehorse is offline   Reply With Quote