View Single Post
Old December 28th, 2011, 12:27 PM   #48
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

Wow, this thread got interesting since I last checked in.

I'll try to clarify the comments a bit on lane splitting:

From a legal standpoint, Los Angeles and Manhattan have the same laws on lane splitting: it's not technically legal. It is, however, accepted and expected.

The main difference is, in NYC the cab drivers split lanes, too. It's not uncommon to see 3 (I've even witnessed 4) cabs running side by side in 2 lanes (and sometimes part of the oncomming traffic's lanes). Yes, drivers NYC are insane, and yes, it's suspected that theres a lot of speed and crystal meth going around the cabbies to keep them awake during long shifts. It can be very exciting at times.

90% of the time, though, once you learn how traffic works there, riding a MC is almost as safe as anywhere else. It's an enjoyable experience and you'll get where you're going in half the time as a car (or taking a cab) and you'll never have to worry about finding a parking space.

The first time I went to Manhattan, on my Ducati, it scared the hell out of me, everyone cutting everyone off, yelling, honking at everyone, and general chaos. People making manuveres that didn't make any sense.
A few days later, I was talking to an experienced motorcyclist in NYC, and asked him for some advice. He explained it pretty simply. If you stay in your lane, you're create traffic and pissing people off. If you lane split, you're not getting in anyone's way.
So I tried it.

Obviously, it's a bit more complicated than that, but basically, he was right. Once you ride around a bit, you start to understand that those people who are honking are honking at you for taking up space in their lane. Those weird manuevers are people making room for you to pull inbetween cars. NYC people expect you to ride like everyone else there rides. And they're not actually out to kill you--they'll give you room to lanesplit. They'll pull up a foot or two forward if you're behind them and wave you on. First time I saw that, I couldn't figure out if they wanted me to run into them or ride over them....the second time I figured out that they were telling me to get out of the lane, and filter through to the front of the line so I'd be first to go when the traffic light changed. Not wanting to risk angering the cages, I did as told. Other drivers will also pull a few inches or so away to give you room.

Compare this to Washington DC, where drivers will open their door to knock you off if you try that here.

So, that's my opinion on lane splitting in NYC. I think it's a lot safer to operate a bike in the way that is expected and predictable, rather than in less common ways that will irritate or piss off cabbies.

Keep in mind two things, though:
* I'm only talking about Manhattan, where I have family and ride. I haven't ridden in Brooklyn or Queens or the Bronx or the other borroughss. I don't know what the situation is there.
* We're talking about Manhattan traffic, which moves at like 5mph. Don't go lane splitting at 90mph through Time Square and then when you wipe out claim I told you it was safe. Riding "between the lanes" doesn't mean you have to go faster than anyone else....just try to stay out of people's blind spots.