View Single Post
Old January 2nd, 2012, 09:33 AM   #25
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrider View Post
I suggest we eat less, sleep more and avoid vigorous exercise routines. This three or four times a week for an hour at a time with accelerated heart rate is B.S!

But what would I know, I am just a fat ass simpleton.
I've been a distance runner my whole life (competatively since I was 12). Every so often I run into a kyrider type. They don't want to exercise, which is okay with me, but they're also "type-A, in charge, tell everyone else how to live" people so they need to pontificate about how nobody should exercise.

They love to talk in terms of "wearing out" your body, saying things like "Just remember the body is just like a car it only has so many miles" as kyrider said earlier in this thread. They want to suggest that you've only got so many heartbeats in your life.

To that line of reasoning I always say, "Okay, let's do some math!"

(for the purpose of being very fair to the non-exercisers all of my estimates are tilted in their favor. For example, I use 48 beats per minute as my resting heartrate but the truth is that during the 8 hours I sleep at night my heartrate goes into the low 40s or high 30s.)

Here we go with the fun math!

I exercise (run) almost every day of the week, for about an hour. So thats 60 minutes at about 160 heartbeats per minute for a 1-hour total of 9,600 beats.

So that's 6 days a week with an hour that includes 9,600 beats. The rest of the week, the other 23 hours, my highly-trained cardiovascular system maintains a resting heartbeat of around 48 beats per minute. So 23 hours at 48 beats per minute equals 66,240 heartbeats.

Adding it all up: My one-hour of running 9,600 beats + the other 23 hours of the day at 48 beats per minute (totalling 66,240 beats) equals 75,840 heartbeats in an average day.

Now let's look at kyrider the non-exerciser's numbers

He never raises his heart rate so it's the same all the time and if you Google "resting heartrate" you'll find that the average male has a resting heartrate of 60-100 beats per minute. When I get into these comparison math contests with a non-exerciser I usually find that his resting heartrate is around 70 to 75 beats per minute so we'll be generous here and say kyrider's resting heartrate is 70 beats per minute.

So 70 beats a minute, every minute for the entire 24 hours of a day equals 100,800 beats.

This means my heart is beating 24,960 times less per day than kyrider's heart. And he says the human body only has so many miles on it and he's real smart.

Over an entire year my total is 9,110,400 beats less than kyrider.

I'm going out for a run now.

Posting this has put me behind schedule for the day. I have to get this run in, then do some other stuff before I push the thottles up on the 737 (bumper sticker: "my other car has 48,000 pounds of thrust"). I fly from Manchester NH to Chicago Midway then to Oakland CA tonight.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote