View Single Post
Old January 12th, 2012, 08:36 AM   #13
Monkey Wrench Cycles
Motorcycle repair

Name: Frank

Motorcycle(s): '05 Ninja ZX6-RR, '08 GY6 scooter for wife, '02 Shadow ACE, '05 Buell Blast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
I'm new at this. When synchronizing the carbs, do I need to remove / release the throttle cables? or just leave it as it is and balance the carbs directly using the screw in the middle?
As mentioned above, leave the cables as they are. You are balancing the carbs by a screw on the throttle linkage(not the idle screw) by way of vacuum. Do make sure its warmed up as stated. As a note it does no good to synchronize carbs if the valve adjustment is out of spec. A valve thats not opening all the way will not draw the same vacuum as one that is opening to spec. A valve thats to tight will actually push air back through the intake so either way, not good.

I always start with the basics. First i replace spark plugs, then check valve adjustment, then synch carbs. That way your covering all the major bases and your not doing double the work. There are many good writeups on doing valve adjustments and carb synchs.

www.monkeywrenchmotorcycles.com
Monkey Wrench Cycles is offline   Reply With Quote