Old January 12th, 2012, 10:51 AM   #9
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
What type/brand of bulb (Silverstar, etc..) do you have in now?
right now I have a Sylvania Silverstar 60/55. It was a significant improvement over stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
Also if the high beam is aimed to high up it will move the light off the road. Because the bulb is a dual filament type bulb on the pregen, I would not advise trying to illuminate both filaments. That would cause the bulb to overheat and fail.
I've got my bright light aimed straight foreward. Stock says the light should go down like 2 inches for every 20 feet foreward or something. I backed up to the opposite side of the garage and adjusted so that the light was the same height on the wall as bulb was. The only time I have issues is on back roads when I'm wanting to see far and near to watch for animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy328 View Post
My concern would be that the stator couldn't output the power required to run both lights at the same time. So, adding an additional 55W would put you right at the edge of the output.

I'd also be concerned about the current draw across the headlight fuse with both of them on. You'd be close to 9 amps, fuse is 10. You'd need a larger fuse, and I am also worried about increasing the fuse rating beyond what the engineers designed it to do.
The wattage would only be a problem at low rpms where the bike isn't making as much charge right?

as for the current, I'm not a fan of upping the fuse unless I know that the wiring is safe at that current level. I found some high output harnesses online, but they're like $60 and that kinda defeats the purpose of finding a cheap way to get more light...

I googled for anyone using a 100/55W bulb on these bikes since the wattage and draw of that bulb would be similar to this, but no such luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asspire View Post
not familiar with pregens, is it a seal beam type headlight, two filaments in one bulb or separate. also what is the max current for the relay?
it's an H4 bulb, so 2 filaments in one bulb
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote