View Single Post
Old January 14th, 2012, 12:45 AM   #1
KChatham
ninjette.org member

Name: Kyle

Motorcycle(s): 1988 EX250 Ninja

Problems with engine/transmission

Ok, so for a while now my transmission would pop out of gear when shift from first to second. I'll shift into second after a stop, ride a few seconds and then the transmission will pop out of gear as throttle is applied (not necessarily as soon as throttle is applied but after throttle has already been applied). This only happened maybe once a day and I assumed it to be caused by me not shifting completely. However, today it starts popping out almost every time I shift into second and apply moderate power and I know I'm shifting completely. I was thinking about playing around with the shift linkage and see if maybe I'm running out of travel (it's gp style shifting so it might be interfering with the foot peg), but other than that I know it's something in the transmission I just wouldn't know what, nor have an idea on what could cause it. Thoughts?

The other issue is with the engine. I searched on the boards already and found 1 thread applicable (sorta) and I'm going to change out the fuel filter tomorrow and see if that fixes my problem. My problem is the engine doesn't want to idle. I'm driving to work today, after ridden my bike all day to and from school several times, and while I'm stopped at a stop light my engine stalls. I try starting it up, but it quickly died. Instead, I shift it into neutral and as I'm starting it I give it some throttle to keep the revs up and start reving it between 1-2k to keep it from dying. (When this issue started happening the bike was fully warmed up and no choke) Anyways, I get to the next light and it dies again. It does this one more time until I get to work (happened 3 times in a 1/2 mile stretch downtown). I don't know what really happened or what could cause this. It seems like a fuel delivery problem which is why I'm going to replace the fuel filter, but the problem can't be the carbs being dirty (why would they all of a sudden become dirty?). It can't be a jetting problem because I've had these jets on the bike for 2 years with absolutely no problems. Its not a choke problem (applying choke helps keeps the revs up but it still only will idle at 2k with the choke on full but it's isn't a smooth consistent idle. The bike revs fine and has good power when riding it's just at idle it wants to stall.

So within 1 day basically it seems my transmission has gone to crap and the engine decides it wants to act up.

Any ideas on a possible reason for these?

Thanks
KChatham is offline   Reply With Quote