View Single Post
Old January 24th, 2012, 11:15 PM   #12
PHL
ninjette.org member

Name: Napoleon

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
And then still have cash in your pockets for repairs. And trust me. You will need to repair them. BMW's are not all that reliable when they get older.
For the 3-series, maintenance is the key. They can be reliable if you aren't afraid to turn your own wrenches and diagnose every now and then. I like to think they have character

I should like to add that the strength of BMWs are their predictable handling. Power, even in the M3s, are not that impressive when compared to other manufacturers. But its combination of RWD and chassis balance are what created the 3-series aura. (Miatas are revered for the same reasons.)

While I'm impressed by the technology and certainly the numbers of the newer Bimmers, I'll stick with the BMW e36 (maybe a e46 wagon). Not as light as the e30s, but parts are readily available (and not as expensive as one would think) and they really are quite easy to work on for any shade tree mechanic. I wonder how good these new Bimmers will be in the future. All that complex electronics, plus the long maintenance intervals due to the "free" service warranties. Even in Roundel, the tech guru has serious reservations about buying a used e9x.

Hmm, never been in the Off-Topic section of the forum. Is this what you guys do around here... (wanders back to bimmerforums on another tab)
PHL is offline   Reply With Quote