View Single Post
Old January 29th, 2012, 08:15 PM   #8
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

AJ, I'm glad you get it and hopefully many will be interested in getting great fuel economy. While motorcycles generally get better fuel economy than most cars and trucks they don't perform particularly well when compared to well designed small cars due to the motorcycle's high aerodydamic drag compared to a car and their high-revving, top-end oriented power bands.
Some hybrids and small cars can get 50+mpg to 40 mpg. Most motorcycles get mid 40's mpg. Many elite hypermiler driven cars ( 50 to 80 mpg can trounce the average motorcyclist's fuel economy numbers.
By attacking the motorcycle's aero drag and high engine rpms we can begin to catch some of the gains that cars have made in recent years.
I now ride more than I drive. I don't want to go at a snail's pace just to get good fuel economy numbers. In the Vetter Challenges we seek to develop motorcycles that can go 70mph into a 30 mph headwind, get over 100 mpg and can carry 4 bags of groceries. These goals make for motorcycles that are more than justing sporting toys but are practical for everyday transportation use.
best wishes GA

Last futzed with by greenaero; February 4th, 2012 at 06:19 PM.
greenaero is offline   Reply With Quote