View Single Post
Old February 16th, 2012, 07:26 AM   #738
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
No I dont think I need to use the 650 cables. I'll just make a new bracket but move them lower. the 250R cables have enough length to comfortably drop down 2-3cm without any kind of tension. That was what I was going to do today but then I got lazy and realized that if I didnt care about the decel cable, I could just do this and be done with it.
If you use the washer pulley method, the geometry of where you place your holes and mounts is critical. If you draw a midpoint line from the midpoint between the two cable mounts and the center of the throttle shaft, you want the midpoint line to also be the midpoint between the two pulley holes at 50% throttle. In other words, you want the angle of the decel cable hole to the midpoint line at idle to equal the angle of the accel cable hole to the midpoint line at WOT.

The cable mounts should be 1" apart center to center measured parallel to the midpoint line. If you use 650 cables, they will also be even and perpendicular to the midpoint line. That is, the center of each mount should be exactly 1/2" from the midpoint line.

If you don't get the geometry right, then you'll have issues with getting WOT.

Since I now have an actual 650 TB, I measured the cable distances using 650 cables. They are somewhat different from the ones I measured earlier, but more accurate.

650 cable lengths measured from the top of the mount to the center of the nut.
Accel Idle = 90mm
Accel WOT = 67mm
Decel Idle = 67mm
Decel WOT = 90mm

However, I think you are right in that the 250 cables are a better choice because they allow for more adjustment. For the 250 cables, the accel cable mount needs to be 10mm farther away because 250 cables aren't even.