View Single Post
Old February 23rd, 2012, 06:00 PM   #18
Super-Tune
ninjette.org member

Name: Super Tune

Motorcycle(s): 2007 250R

I'll answer within your quote so it is easier to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
Questions:

1. Throttle Body: Preaching to the choir.

2. TPS: I didn't get far enough into it to observe problems with the TPS. What problems have you noted? The OEM TPS uses the same connector.
The TPS is of poor quality, not a laser cut carbon bridge as they usually are.

3. VR: What is the VR sensor? Yes, Variable reluctance Sensor. At the least, you use twisted pair wiring to avoid EMI from the ignition system. If the VR wiring gets anywhere near the plug wires or coil you will have false triggering resulting in poor power and as bad as back firing which is probably what is popping some of the TB's completely off. In the industry you use twisted pair high conductor count wire and can also shield it with a drain wire. My first engine went from 13HP to 19.5HP just by fixing this issue. Are you referring to the Crank Position Sensor? On our kits, Matt just taps into the existing wiring at the igniter box. That is, remove the igniter and replace it with the ecotrons ECU.

4. Harness: The wiring harness is definitely made from wound electrical tape. I can't tell if the connectors are soldered, but they look crimped. It does look fairly solid. One look at the battery pos and neg connectors will tell you they are very low quality crimp connectors. Tug on the fuse connection, mine pull right out. That was my first of many failures leaving me walking.

5. Fuel Pump: When you say it leaked, do you mean the pump itself or the connections? Matt said they had issues with the pumps. Mine leaked right out of the terminals. The only thing about the pump I know so far is that the "bubbler" port is just another intake. So by connecting it to the output of the pressure regulator means that you are recycling fuel without going back to the tank for cooling. This is probably OK as long as the regulator is mounted above the pump. A test install made from clear tubing would be nice to see what is really going on in there. You mean your pumps don't have 4 ports in which 1 is capped off with a crimped over piece of rubber hose?

6. Fuel lines: Definitely buy some new 1/4" fuel line. The pump is 1/4" and the regulator and injectors are 5/16". The low pressure tubing is flexible enough to stretch, but the high pressure stuff wont. I don't know what kind of tubing this is but it is by far fuel injection line. The early gray stuff petrified after just a week of running fuel through it. This is all nickel and dime parts that you are risking your life and others with.

7. Clamps: Using the proper kind of clamps is what separates the pros from the amateurs. The water hose clamps don't provide an even squeeze around the hose, whereas the fuel injection clamps do.
Exactly... another dime item

8. Regulator: I can't say much bad about the regulator. We have learned to coexist. The barbless fittings work well with custom machined O-ring connections. Its also possible to pop the regulator out of the plastic housing and fit that to a custom machined interface. That way you have only one connection to worry about.
This regulator was not made for this type of application. The lack of barbs is very dangerous. Just wait until you guys start riding on 90F + days and watch what happens to this plastic and fuel hose.

9. Cal Files: None of the guys in the group buy have complained about holes in their pistons, but several have complained about their throttle bodies blowing off after a backfire.You are Matts Guinea pigs and that is why you got a discount.

While I still say the TB is the biggest flaw, I also have problems with the ECU. The ECU has a direct connection to the battery which means that it can drain the battery when the bike is off. Matt says that it has to be this way, as opposed to just using switched power, because the ECU needs to write log data after shutdown. This causes the CDI systems which I also own, to keep running until they are out of fuel. My point is that he should be writing data on the fly so that the unit can simply be switched off and powered through the igniter connector. But don't get me wrong, this is a minor problem compared to everything else.
Super-Tune is offline   Reply With Quote