View Single Post
Old February 26th, 2012, 08:07 AM   #8
gbyoung2
ninjette.org member

Name: Guy

Motorcycle(s): none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
I am not aware of any problem with the manual.

Try a car battery and be gentle with your starter; your frustration may overheat it due to repetitive attempts.

Right after repair, compression should be low, making start ups difficult.

I would verify the intensity and timing of the sparks first.

As all mechanics are OK, I would focus on carburation next.
All passages and jets very clean and tight rubber boots and vacuum connections.

Next would be pushing start (find a down hill), so rpm's go high enough to improve compression and induce combustion.

Best
Appreciate that, and will probably check spark timing first, altho' I have done nothing that would have altered that.

Battery charge is up there and spins the engine pretty good. Even with the bike's battery, I have been mindful of over-heating the starter. Getting access to a car battery is a thought. I do have a vehicle close to the garage that has a new one, so might give that a try.... again being mindful of extended crank times.

In a poke at myself: Have thought about the hill thingy. The first thought is that it would be terribly embarassing that anything coming out of this shop would require a "drastic" measure such as that. I think a couple of neighbor bikers that live on that hill would find that very amusing.

The second thought was that I'd have to push back up the hill should it not crank. Even as light as these bikes are, at my age that would be a PITA.

Seriously tho', think we'll check the spark timing first, then hit the carbs.

I am sure the owner is following this thread and is finding it most amusing.

FWIW - this is the reason why the top end needed rebuilt:

gbyoung2 is offline   Reply With Quote