View Single Post
Old February 26th, 2012, 03:05 PM   #9
hybridkid
ninjette.org member

Name: KJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R (Sold - I'll miss you Ebony), 2009 Honda CBR 600RR ABS (Alexis), 2010 BMW S1000RR

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
Sorry to hear that @hybridkid.

Where do you normally keep your revs when riding? The fact it was stuttering tells me that maybe you ride at low revs quite often. I'm sure my fuel economy suffers because of this, but I generally keep my revs at 6K or greater while riding. It means I've got a decent amount of power waiting for me if I want/need it.

Hope you don't beat yourself up to much. It seems quite likely that new riders will crash. There's so much for us to learn. I'm sure that you'll learn a lot from the crash. When I had an accident I didn't just learn how to avoid that specific accident again, but I learnt what it feels like when I'm about to crash: the fear and the thoughts that go through my mind in the moments before I loose control. I learnt what my current limits are. I was reminded that I'm a new rider and I need to be really alert all the time and take it easy. Most importantly I feel like I've been imbued with a greater respect for the bike and how I should act on it. We're used to our physical bodies and the limits of them: we've had decades to get used to that, but motorcycles are like an extension of our body. They are a completely different way of interacting with the world and they're very powerful. With that in mind, it almost seems crazy to expect to be able to really be 'at one with the bike' after less than a year of riding. When we first learn to walk, we fall.
It's definitely a wake up call in the confines of my neighborhood lot. I laughed about it later and shared with friends and coworkers...I rode it the next day. All cosmetic and really light scraping on the fairing, mirror, and bars/pegs....I'll be riding in the parking lot again ...think I hit a flat spot, leaned over too much and didn't distribute right on the weight....

While I'm here, a special shout out to the makers of tony lee, rev-it, shoei, BMW apparel, and sidi....eberything held up well. had a little rib bruising from falling on my backpack shoulder buckle. I maybe looking for a dainese jacket with chest protection next. Was able to play full court bball a couple days later so the protection investment was worth it!
hybridkid is offline   Reply With Quote