View Single Post
Old February 27th, 2012, 12:19 PM   #27
koenigcitizen
Russian Ninja :)

Name: Andrei

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Triumph Street Triple R, 2009 Yamaha FZ6, 2010 Kawi 250r (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Well, sort of. Academically, yes. Given everything else is held equal, increasing weight alone will have a minimal affect on top speed, acceleration is where it is felt. But on a motorcycle, the size of the rider is often a large input to the aerodynamic drag, and that is what is providing that limiting factor at top speed. A smaller rider that can tuck further and be more aerodynamic, will have a faster top speed (and better fuel economy) than a larger rider. And weight is often proportional to size.
You are right, but it has to be a really big and heavy guy. For the argument and buying decision purposes, I would say, that the top speed difference can be ignored between a slim guy who weighs 165 and a heavier guy who is 220.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixter View Post

If you buy from a private party you will still have to go to DMV and register it. They may assess a tax as well (percentage of the reported sale price).
That is correct. If you buy a used bike, and you dont have a bill of sale, they will tax it based on Blue Book Value of your bike. At least in MD. happened to me. I didnt think to get a bill of sale from the guy I bought the bike from, and I got hit with taxes. I paid $3000 for the bike, and they taxed me as if I bought it for $3400.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnr93 View Post
yea thats true. but im afraid of mechanical problems buying used,

Im starting to consider used, but would be nice to have something brand new to call my own.
I had no idea about bikes, and I am very mechanically challenged. I bought my bike on ebay. Dont buy "fixeruppers". Dont buy if they are badly scratched. Dont buy too old, or with too many miles. Leave that to people who know their bikes. It will be a little on the expensive side, but still WAAAAY cheaper than buying new.

I was lucky to find a 2010 Ninja with 900 miles on it. Not a single scratch. Even without any technical knowledge, I could tell it was in perfect shape.
I bought my bike for $3000.